Summer Slide is a phrase that describes the slide backwards that children make in reading and math skills over the summer. Basically, it is the old adage, "use it or lose it!"
Statistics vary as to how much knowledge is lost over the summer, but there are many ways to support our kids in our daily lives!
Here are 5 things that I do with my kids over the summer:
1. READ, and read some more! Read out loud to them, have them read to you. Kids emulate what they see, so let them see you reading. Read signs at the store, on the road, wherever you go! Make sure you stop by the store and pick up your free Gingy bookmark.
2. Play Games - so many games promote strategic thinking, math & reading skills and even social skills. This summer, I am introducing Yahtzee and a travel game that we just got in store called Words. Some other favourites are Bananagrams, Mexican Train (Dominoes) and Scrabble!
3. Explore outdoors! Take a net to the lake, what creatures can you find? Look up plants with an app or go geocaching (a family favourite of ours) - so much learning and relaxation occurs in our woods, plus the fresh air and exercise are an awesome bonus.
4. Bake or cook - What a great life skill to learn! Reading, following directions, motor skills and math are just a few of the things that can be incorporated into an everyday need. One thing that I do is take away a measuring cup, and ask my kids how we can measure out the ingredients with the measuring cups that are left (fractions!) For example, if we need a cup of sugar, I'll take away that cup and have them figure out that they need 3 x 1/3 Cups or 2 x 1/2 Cups.
5. Traditional workbooks, flash cards, online programs and apps are another way to mix it up and keep it interesting! My kids love the Hot Dots we have at the store (and we have lots of options coming soon!) - they are a neat alternative to the traditional flash card.
So many opportunities arise for added learning, we can help you find the games, tools, workbooks and story books to make this summer fun! If you have a favourite way to add learning to your everyday, share with us in the comments :)
We are passionate about providing quality, developmentally appropriate, and FUN toys to Prince George and beyond!